Wednesday, June 15, 2011

FTJ, Entry 90: Lions and Tigers and Engvall, Oh My

Actually, there were no tigers. The San Diego Zoo's tiger was hiding when we went through. But I swear we saw almost every single creature in residence! We walked our butts off (wish that had really happened to me -- damn!), and saw some animals I had never heard of -- like the Secretary Bird. What an amazing creature.

I will just provide the pictorial from our huge trek to the zoo, followed by a few pics of the very funny Bill Engvall, whom we saw last night at the San Diego Fair. He was great.

OK, I have to admit here that I have a difficult time with animals in cages and I was in tears a lot. But what a thrill to see these beautiful creatures, regardless.

Below, two young grizzly bears. They were very playful in the water.


We saw the polar bear from the trolley tour we took, and it was so close it alarmed both of us at first. At top, check out the little baby giraffe -- too bad it's back was to us.
This jaguar's pacing upset me.
Don't you just love meerkats?
  
Beau (not a Meerkat- duh!) with a real elephant...

...and me with a fake one.

This is the Secretary Bird -- gorgeous! He jumps up and down to kill bugs and lizards. Very comical.

Shhh - he's sleeping. I hope. (I worry the animals are depressed.)
 

 
We saw an "owl' in a tree -- isn't that cool? The Zoo is also a world class botanical garden.

The San Diego Fair and Engvall Concert
As noted, last night we saw Bill Engvall at the San Diego County Fair -- which was HUGE -- it took an hour to get to the parking lot once we got to the Del Mar Racetrack. By the way, I was excited to be at the Del Mar, where in 1938, the amazing Seabiscuit won a famous $25,000 match race that helped put the racetrack "on the map."


Beau peruses the fair from the terrace of the Turf Club, where we had dinner.

Dinner at the Turf Club. The Del Mar Racetrack is below us.

Front row at the Bill Envgall concert!




We have some videos of his routine, which for some reason I could not load here. (If anyone wants to hear a clip, let us know and we will email the videos!)

Smaller Creatures...

I will just finish up with some photos of two other animals:  Buddy (blurry) playing, and a new friend he met in Old Town the other day -- Miss Sweet Pea. She is adorable.



Sweet Pea - her owner passes out photos of her!
Sweet Pea and Buddy meeting. She was a bit shy.

All right, enough with the animals. 

Currently, it is cool and cloudy for our last day here in San Diego. The June gloom continues, only worse, and today we stayed close to home, relaxing. Tomorrow we are off to Temecula, CA.

Tanks, Panky


No comments:

Post a Comment