Tuesday, October 26, 2010

FTJ, Entry 24: Dixie Stampede Gets Postponed

We had a sky full of dark, menacing clouds, lots of wild downpours, and some nasty windgusts, with a severe thunderstorm warning until 7 pm, so we decided to switch our visit to Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede until Wednesday. So Laura's birthday celebration was at the Original Benjamin's Calabash Seafood buffet restaurant. Oh my -- too much food. But a lot of fun.

We saw pirates and all manner of kitschiness on display, and lots of seafood to eat. 





We also met the resident ship model maker, James N. Frost, who gave us a personal tour of his model making shop. He is a super polite southern gentleman with a ton of talent. Beau was enthralled. The first model below is of the QE II and is probably 15 feet long! The detail is amazing.

This is quite a trip!



Closeups of the models


The model maker at the helm - note the hat.
Finally, I must thank Barbara for the beautiful flowers to celebrate our birthdays! So thoughtful and lovely.


All in all, a great birthday was had by both of us!

Holding up my head or my chin? Bit of both, I think. (Got the beads from the Pirate for my birthday, not for showing my -- never mind. Those who have been to New Orleans will understand the reference.)

Till next time.

Tanks, Panky






1 comment:

  1. It is obvious that the two of you are having a wonderful time. I can see why Beau would be enthralled with the boats. I'm waiting to hear about the concert.

    ReplyDelete